Thursday, March 15, 2018

Choo Choo Caboose

When we were planning this trip, I would look at the various web sites and maps. The Verde Canyon Railroad in Clarkdale, Arizona, was originally a local railroad hauling ore, miners, and supplies from Clarkdale to Drake. When I was reading the web site and making our plans, I saw that they offer a caboose for a party of up to six people which features comfortable club chairs, panoramic windows and access to private outdoor viewing platforms. It grabbed my attention and checking availability I saw that it was quite popular and if we were going to do it I needed to decide immediately. The only available date in our time frame was May 31st and I grabbed it. Besides it was air conditioned and I could take my shoes off!


Mark
Thus the day after our arrival at Distant Drums, Geoffrey and I met my son Mark, his wife Natalie, my sister Carol and her daughter, my niece Tara at the Verde Canyon Railroad Depot in Clarkdale. We had some lunch and then were given a short ride in a golf cart to the end of the train and the caboose. We of course had enough time before our ride to visit the gift shop and, you guessed it, another ball cap joined my collection.

Natalie
The train excursion takes about four hours through the Verde Canyon, much of it above the Verde River. The canyon has an abundance of native flora and fauna including bald eagles which, since they are accustomed to the train, fly quite nearby and we saw several although the best time to see them is earlier in the year. In spite of being a high desert area, there is enough vegetation along the river for waterfowl, fish, and other animals that depend on the river for survival. There are a few hiking trails along the river where one can see these animals better than from the train including night hikes with nocturnal wildlife. This area is sandwiched between the Coconino National Forest and the Prescott National Forest.
Carol

This 20 mile journey includes a 680 foot tunnel, trestles and bridges across side gorges and winds along the side of cliffs. In some places there are ancient Sinagua ruins in the cliffs which our personal guide/valet pointed out to us. We also passed the huge piles of ore remaining after the extraction of the copper.

All this terrific scenery could not compete with the opportunity to visit with my family in this casual setting. Everyone moved from the comfortable chairs and refreshments to the windows, the viewing platform and even the elevated view in the back of the caboose. Hours of just conversation would have been awkward perhaps but broken up by the views was perfect.
Tara

We all had opportunities to visit with one or another. I got to spend time with my baby sister and with Tara whom I have not had much time with since she was a little girl (yes, Tara, you were once a little girl).

Both my son and his wife have their own businesses and it has been hard for them to have much time for me. I was especially glad that they both managed to get away for the day to join us.

I particularly enjoyed watching my son try to puzzle out why the hook ups between the cars were so noisy. We all came up with theories and I no longer remember which we decided was likeliest but it was like watching him as a small boy do the same sort of figuring and studying.

This day was I think the highlight of the whole trip and I have never regretted for a minute that inspiration I had when looking at the web site!


2 comments:

  1. I can see how this would have been a most special event. Lucky for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been many great moments on our trips but the caboose ride was the very best!

    ReplyDelete