Saturday, March 16, 2019

Roomba, Roomba, where are you ...

... or is it a new child in the house?

Geoff's birthday is December 16th and since mine is the 22nd we usually just take each other out to dinner but since the box was big and detracted from the look of the Christmas tree, I had Geoffrey open a present early ... a Roomba! He had talked about one off and on for ages and had been fussing about how much lint and stuff showed on the new floors so after reading up on the various options I gave him an iRobot Roomba 890 which includes Wi-Fi connectivity, a feature I figured my techie husband would appreciate.Little did I know this would bring a whole new set of adventures!


The following Rommba tales are from a series of emails (very minor editing) to my sisters about these adventures ...
 
"Anyway, the Roomba is out there exploring the house right this minute and making odd noises as it bumps its way round learning the ins and outs of our house. Last I looked it was in the kitchen. Sorry ... got distracted by the Roomba as I went to check on it again and the bin full light was on so I had to empty the bin which meant finding the instructions! We will undoubtedly have that for a while as we have several new area rugs. Oh my ... we are turning into Millennials ... we have a Roomba and a Keurig!"


"It is definitely interesting to have one rummaging around. There are a few things it can get under, in particular a big storage cabinet in Geoff’s office and I was terrified it would get stuck under there or something but when I wasn’t looking it snuck under there, I just caught it’s rear vanishing in the corner of my eye! So now we get rumbledee bump for a minute or two and then out it comes! I really need to get Geoff to start it up again so it can clean some more … besides it is weirdly fun to be sitting here with it bumbling around in the house!"



"Definitely is like having a pet or a toddler in the house whenever you set Roomba loose! Yesterday Geoffrey had it out and it spent a considerable amount of time under our bed. It finally exited the bedroom and we herded it home to its charger but, later that night I woke up and realized my clock was missing! Further hunting around and clearly the phone extension was missing also! Took a few minutes sleep befuddled thought but clearly while it was toddling around under the bed Roomba had grabbed the cords for the clock and phone and pulled them down under the bed with it … guess maybe they are clean now? We recovered the missing items a little bit ago and the cords have now been tucked away so next trip under the bed Roomba will have to do without them as playthings."

"Oh gawd ... it's at it again! Here I was, sitting here nice and peacefully at my computer, munching my breakfast, drinking my tea … and I hear this polite little ding in the distance. At first I don’t realize what it is, Geoff’s computer often makes odd dings and beeps while he does stuff even when he is not sitting at it. But then I hear this little light whirring sound! Roomba is loose again! Geoffrey has forgotten that he set it for 9 am on Mondays as an ONGOING thing, not just one time. I jump up and scurry around the house trying to remember everything Roomba has trained me at … slippers and shoes off the floor, close the bathroom door, block the kitchen doorways, yelling at Geoffrey (who has ensconced himself in the master bath toilet, to put the hamper across the opening into the master bath  and get his stuff off the floor! Catching my breath now as it appears that Roomba is playing around under the bed (from which we have removed the clock and phone cables) and will be busy a while … also making a note to speak to Geoff about the timing of his weekly Roomba schedule!"



"Past installments have mentioned the Monday morning scheduling of Roomba … well, Thursday morning as I tried to sleep in a bit, Geoff woke me up to say it was almost Roomba time as he had scheduled it for 9 AM on BOTH Monday AND Thursday! I tried to ignore this, curling up under the covers, but then thoughts of trying to lay there while Roomba crawled around under the bed took hold and I dragged myself up <sigh> informing Geoffrey it was his turn to trail along after Roomba watching for further deviant behavior and gathering my cup of tea I retreated to my computer room. At which point Geoffrey reported that Roomba had crawled around cleaning under his desk and then headed out down the hall to the bedroom where after a short tour of the outer edges it scooted under the bed. Standing there listening to it bumbling around under there must have been boring and soon he was no longer paying attention. Apparently this did not suit Roomba as it snuck out from under the bed and attacked his feet, quickly retreating back under the bed. Roomba clearly was just waiting for another chance and as soon as his attention was elsewhere out it scooted, attacking his feet again! Eventually it tired of the game and headed to the rest of the house, next stop, my computer room. Of course it has gotten me trained already and I simply positioned my feet and chair to keep it out from under my desk thus obviating the need to pick anything up. It soon tired of my room and headed for the living room. Now, Geoff was supposed to be keeping an eye on it but I soon heard strange noises from the other room and decided I better go check … Roomba had found the Christmas tree and its surrounding presents! For the most part it just bumbled around the edges and the presents themselves managed to fend it off but then it discovered the flat ones that were just leaning up against the others and by the time I got there it was trying to eat one of them … a lovely little flat one with gold paper and a bell on it. I rescued the present with no damage done, the bell keeping it from disappearing underneath Roomba, and quickly rearranged the gifts so the flat ones were still leaning up against others but were layered above Roomba’s reach. Of course this disconcerted Roomba and it headed back to my office again at which point it decided its battery was dying and it needed to get back to its dock! Not sure I can take this twice a week stuff especially first thing in the morning!"


"As you are both aware from yesterday’s email, we had a small disaster with the washer flooding out half the kitchen and most of Geoff’s office requiring we call in ServPro to cleanup and start restoration/repair. So 9 o’clock this morning Geoff and I are ensconced in my office where, with the door shut, we can hear each other over the blowing fans and other equipment that has been running in the disaster area since yesterday afternoon. I though I heard a clunk out there some where but the way this house is sometimes it can be next door or even across the street and nothing showed on our (external) cameras and we were busy calling our insurance agent and Home Depot over the protection plan for the washer. I figured it was nothing but then I heard another and another. We finally headed out to the rest of the house and there was Roomba busily cleaning away in the little hall outside my office. We finally corralled it and got it returned to its dock … sometimes it is worse than having a child or a pet, yelling at it gets no response whatsoever! … Geoff has now retreated to a laundromat to finish washing the load of clothes and the towels we used yesterday and I am waiting on ServPro which called and will be here in about a half hour. The washer repair guy is scheduled for Thursday … stuff always seems to happen around holidays." [For those who did not hear about the Great Washer Disaster, be patient, a post is coming on that. I am trying to be somewhat chronological with this.]

"Sitting here at my computer this morning on a day full of visitors … the security company for an issue with the system, the estimator for repairs to the house, and the cabinet installer guy … and at 9 I hear these little musical tones and then the whirring sounds of Roomba. Geoff who is ensconced in his temporary computer room in the corner junk room mutters some rude words and takes off after it. Roomba had promptly veered into Geoff’s usual office which at the moment is a wasteland of bare concrete slab where the floor was taken up from the flood and pieces of furniture cluttering the space. So of course Roomba, enjoying being somewhere forbidden to it for the last couple of weeks, kept ducking under stuff where he couldn’t catch her. After several attempts and much muttering of ‘come here you little idiot’ and such like, he did catch her and returned her to her base."

Well, Roomba has mostly trained us now and what few adventures occur with it are minor but it sure is a learning experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment